Friday, February 19, 2010

Proton Power!

As any full-time law student with a brain tumor can tell you, things get kinda hectic at times. This past week has been no exception: Keedy Cup preparation (basically, researching and writing another 30 page appellate brief to be argued this coming Tuesday, February 23rd), several appointments with both my oncologist and radiologist, as well as three classes and a little laziness thrown in for good measure. However, I DID get my pathology report back from Johns Hopkins, and they supported UPenn Medical's diagnosis of an anaplastic oligoastrocytoma. So, it looks like I will be getting chemotherapy (Temodar) along with radiation for the next six-and-a-half weeks, followed by a six month, 5-day-a-month, chemo regime.

Probably the more interesting news is that my radiologist asked me if I'd like to take part in a "clinical trial," which tests quality-of-life issues surrounding proton-beam (new for brain tumors) radiation therapy as opposed to photon-beam (traditional) radiation therapy. "Clinical trial" raises immediate red flags for me-I'm no one's guinea pig. However, upon discovering that their relative efficacy at eliminating tumor cells is identical (ie, they both cook the brain) but that proton-beam therapy has the potential to leave the more "eloquent" (think memory, coordination, and the like) areas (relatively) unscathed, I agreed.

The process for approval is two-fold: first, my radiologist had to present my case before some shadowy, three-person "board" of approval; second, AETNA (or someone) has to pay for it. Thankfully, the first step was passed today, and the second is in the works. While I am not exactly sure what my chances are of having proton-beam therapy accepted by AETNA insurance, I do have to give them kudos for the amazingly inexpensive and wholly comprehensive coverage I have enjoyed through them so far in this process. I was told that once I reach my $1000 deductible, then I am 100% covered afterwards. Wow. I may have mentioned this before, but I will (maybe) never again complain about buying a top-quality health insurance plan. I will certainly post if and when AETNA makes their decision, because to avoid the potential and permanent loss of some very important cognitive faculties would be preferable. Apparently though, the proton-beam therapy machine runs about $150M (it's about as big as a football field and requires an entire "center" to support it!) which I guess is a lot of overhead needing to be recouped. I can't even begin to imagine what my medical bills are starting to look like! So while I could describe the differences and process to a degree, instead I've posted two articles and a video from MDAnderson (in Houston) that definitely explains everything much much better.

The first article: http://www2.mdanderson.org/depts/oncolog/articles/04/7-8-julaug/7-8-04-1.html

The second article: http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/0316/062_150mil_zapper.html


The video:

http://www3.mdanderson.org/streams/FullVideoPlayer.cfm?xml=communications%2Fconfig%2Fpencil_proton_cfg

1 comment:

  1. Brian,
    Your optimism is contagious - keep working hard at it, and I still keep sending lots of positive energy your way as you continue with your education, as well as get ready for the treatments!

    ReplyDelete