Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Brian 2.0 - (aka, "The Fu" is Back!)

Surgery went well, or so the surgeons say. The first day I came to I was rather sick, vomiting, and generally not really "feeling" the anesthesia so much. But within a short time (roughly an afternoon) I got over it and made it through the many pokes, needles, vital sign-takings, and naps without too many problems. The only side effect of surgery that I really had to deal with was the apnea that plagued me throughout the first day of recovery. I was actually only breathing about 3-4 times per minute, and that understandably worried the nurses somewhat.

That same day I looked something like I did below (with the head bandage) which is somewhat remarkable considering that I had fully expected to be completely puffy and swollen across my whole forehead and face. The next few days I had wonderful nurses, apparently in the Neuro-ICU they staff the best, and they all helped me wonderfully. A special shout-out to one of my nurses, Sonya Wood, who specifically allowed Amanda (my wife) to stay at my bedside throughout the (two) night(s), and who shut the curtains and doors of my ICU "suite" when it was time to rest. Apparently she didn't have to do this, but I sure appreciated it anyway.










I also think it's worth mentioning that I shaved the Fu Man-Chu into my face simply because I thought it was kinda tough-looking. Ha! Well in retrospect I realize that it certainly WAS tough-looking, at least until I ended up in the emergency room, wrapped in a paper thin snuggie. Not too tough anymore, huh? The toughness quickly morphed into a somewhat pathetic, post-seizure tumorheaded law student, writhing on the emergency room bed. All I can say is to be sure that before you pursue any acts of toughness that you make sure no surprise seizures are in your future, otherwise you'll feel somewhat silly rather quickly. :)

Anyway, the second day/night in the Neuro-ICU (Saturday the 16th) was pretty much the same as the day before, but with a slight increase in my general cognition and comprehension. The first day I started with a lower baseline but that was to be expected. Though they did not test me for any specific cognitive defects or anything, I could feel right away that my brain was...kind of detached. It's hard to explain, but if you can imagine your brain and thought process being a bit far from reality and "looking" at reality from a somewhat distant place, that's more or less what it was like. To use an imperfect example, when people would ask me questions I would immediately know the answer, but I would only really "understand" its relationship to the world from a somewhat distant vantage. If that makes no sense I'll try to clean it up over the next few days/weeks and rehash it again. Either way, they had me up and walking around the ICU on this day and I did two laps around the central unit-not too bad for only the day after brain surgery. You could definitely say that I was one of the patients in "best shape" in the neuro-ICU, and it seemed like everyone else in there was close to catatonic from whatever condition from which they were suffering. Please pray for them.

The second day was also the first day of my second MRI, which was mainly used to determine the success of my original surgery and how stable it was. Apparently the brain was stable, and this lent some support to the surgeon's residents' 6 am assertions that the surgery actually did go well. Anyway, that's pretty much the story of my first two days in the hospital. Unfortunately, I'm on a bunch of meds right now (Dexamethasone-8mg/4x per day for brain swelling; Keppra-1000mg/2x per day for seizures; and Ranitidine-150mg/1x per day for as long as I'm on the Dexamethasone). I hate taking them, but they're part of the deal. The Dexamethasone and Ranitidine will be tapered to nothing within about 9 days, leaving only the Keppra in my regular rotation. Their side-effects are kind of severe though (dizziness and general feelings of detachment) but they are an important part of the healing process, and I guess I'll stick through them. I suppose they're one of the miracles of modern medicine, and since they're part fo the deal they're now a part of my life. At least for the next few days. Anyway, please enjoy the pics!

11 comments:

  1. Back in elementary school, my parents used to always watch a show in which they'd take a patient and show a full operation from when the person first meets the doctor, through the OR and then the recovery. It always made me kind of queasy, so I usually just went to my room. My parents made fun of me for it, so one night I sat down and decided to watch the whole episode. Turned out to be brain surgery, which is the only one that has ever made my parents feel a bit sick, and which actually got me running for the toilet to throw up.

    Your pictures bring back so many fun memories.

    Anyway, it really is good to hear you're doing well. Still praying, and hope you're back cracking the law books soon.

    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. We knew you could do it. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It takes a lot of courage( maybe that's what the trucker stash was for). We continue to support you during your recovery. Let us know if you need anything.
    xoxo
    Bea and Erik and Kasper too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that it went well. I hope you are feeling back to normal very soon. In the last picture with the robe and (are those chopsticks?) you kind of look like a Victorian aristocrat.

    (This is Nathan)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your recovery is going so well. I almost passed out when I saw the bran pic's. I had to put my hand over them so I could continue to read the blog! I pray for you and Amanda daily. I hate to see you guys going thru this, and I wish I could understand why. But the only thing I do know is that we serve a mighty, loving God. May His peace, strength,mercy and grace be with you and that beautiful wife of yours.

    Love Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn Brother, so thats what smart peoples brains look like...Thanks for sharing & please keep the FU...Happy Healing, glad you made it through the surgery...

    Much Love,
    Brother Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, the Fu thing really does look tough... if that helps at all. (-: It's a good look for you! But seriously, we already knew you were smart... like, really really smart. You didn't need to go and show us your brains for goodness sake! But I'm so glad you are feeling good enough to actually keep up with your Blog. Recovery must be going very well then. You continue to amaze and inspire. Love you guys!

    Love Always,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brian,

    We are so glad that everything went well with the surgery. We are thinking about you and Amanda a lot and praying that your recovery is smooth and uneventful!
    Sending lots of blessings and good wishes your way...

    Zane and Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those brain photos are COOL! Makes me wish I was a zombie ;-)

    Glad you're bouncing back so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the FU on YOU. Of course, I have no clue what you look like minus the FU. It's Coo....

    I'm curious about your follow-up explanation to the detachment of the brain you mentioned. This, aside from the smart brain photos, intrigues the heck out of me.

    Hanging on your 'word' {blog}.

    Glad you've made such amazing strides in recovery. I bet it was part FU :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Those brain pics are cool. Who took them? What is it like for you to see that part of yourself?
    Also, that soup in the last one looks damn good. That can't be hospital food!
    So glad everything went "well" and that you're healing and finding time to share this all with us. Keep it up, brother.
    xoxo Emily

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is as fine a brain as I have ever seen! Good to hear from you. Did they do any upgrades while they were in there?

    ReplyDelete