Tuesday, April 6, 2010

More Than Half Way Done!

As of today, I have officially passed the half-way point of my treatment, which ends on April 29th. Only 16 more radiation-days to go (23 chemo-days). So far I have experienced no negative side-effects from the chemotherapy, but as I noted in my last post, my hair has begun to fall out from radiation. Basically, I just end up wearing hats most of the time (which I'm prone to do anyway) just so that I don't freak people out too much. On the rare occasions when I must remove my hat (like in our mock trial yesterday at the Federal Courthouse in downtown Philly), I try to convince myself that everyone staring at my head is either (a) intimidated by the combination of head-scar and bad-ass mustache, or; (b) feeling very sympathetic for whatever they perceive my condition to be. I'll take either, though I definitely prefer option (a). Interestingly, though I still have most of my hair in the front, a simple pinch takes pretty much all of it out from where I've pulled. Thus my hair in front of my scar has been becoming patchy and sickly-looking, not the sort of look that one necessarily strives for.
Thankfully though, I've been recently approved for 2 "Independent Study" papers for over this summer which will be done under the supervision of two professors and for 3 credits each. These 2 papers are life-savers, as their collective 6-credit load will significantly help to reduce the graduation-credit burden that I would otherwise face next year (since I'm taking a lighter credit load this semester, I would otherwise be looking at a virtually impossible 33 credit load next year!). This way, I'll only have 27 credits to complete for next year, I'll be able to graduate with my class without any problems, and the papers are both very interesting topics that will easily motivate me to get them done. Now I just need to motivate myself to get going on THIS semester's workload which, while only four credits worth, has become somewhat of a significant challenge to complete! :)

3 comments:

  1. (a) you look great in a hat (b) if a little patchiness is the only thing you have to hide from the rest of us, I'd say you're doing pretty darn good. I see you quite a bit and I can attest to the fact that you really do look healthy, happy, and totally like "Brian". Treatment - 0, Brian - 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS,
    You’ve reached half way on the radiation treatments and you’ve still got that wonderful positive attitude. I lost a big square of hair in the back of my head during radiation, and it began to fall out while I was getting ready for a massage in Vegas. What fun I had trying to pick up all my hair, then I was treated to a “latex glove” massage, which was interesting.

    Good luck in school and am still sending lots of positive energy your way to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing...loving the mustache! kind of cowboyish...amanda what you think? Sending love from NYC to you two! misha

    ReplyDelete