Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bald is Beautiful, and Apparently Works for Hollywood Too.

So, as if my thoughts and words brought about some kind of profound change in the way God works, as soon as I realized that the "sun burn" patch on the top of my head was a precursor to my hair falling out...it began; to fall out, that is. While it's not yet at the critical stage, I'm pretty sure that everything from the mid-point of my head (basically, the scar) forward is ready to go. I can even pull it out in clumps, which I'm sure will make for a neat party trick sometime in the near future (though there is a definite life span to this type of party trick, as once it's all gone, it's all gone!) If I get bored with a party conversation, I can pretend to get super stressed out and just start tearing my hair out in front of whoever it is I'm stuck with (or...whoever happens to be stuck with me as it turns out!). Maybe this is not a "trick" per se, but at least it's a good way to end pretty much any uncomfortable scenario.So picture this: everything they've been zapping with proton radiation for the past three weeks will shed which, having tested various aspects of my hair and scalp, apparently does not include sideburns, the back of my head, or the sides up to the crown. Yep, only the front of the top of my head, which will be very strange to look at. This is not a natural balding pattern. I have considered shaving the whole thing with a razor, but my eyebrows and scar make that an unlikely (though still possible) scenario. Any suggestions are welcome. (I was considering a powdered wig just like the European "Barristers") That said, while the hair is likely to grow back 2-6 months after the end of radiation therapy (April 29th!!), vanity says that this first outward sign that I am a brain cancer patient makes me uncomfortable. Then again, if I can keep the hair off until Halloween, it will certainly make my costume cheaper. Also, thank God the mustache has been left unharmed.

4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking you should shave the head and then go for a full on Nietzsche style moustache. Make a statement!

    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easy for me to say, so I'll say it, "Why are you worried about looking like 'a cancer patient'?" I mean, it's not like the girls come flocking anymore anyway....ha ha ha.

    Wigs are dumb. Scars, however, are badass. I say cut your hair shorter if you want but you don't have to shave it. Embrace the temporary baldness as another battle wound! And I know one girl that will still think you're hot no matter what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unima,

    You know how to both warm my heart and speak the truth at the same time. Your wisdom knows no bounds so, I will both cut my hair short and flock to the ladies...that's what you're suggesting, right? As for the scar, it's nothing a little wood putty won't cover up.

    ReplyDelete